Colclough's pottery works, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1963

Description:H J Colclough's Vale pottery works stood in Goddard Street in Longton. Colclough's operated here from 1907, although the business dates back to 1897 and at one time they advertised themselves as "Britain's largest manufacturer of Bone China Teaware". They prided themselves on making bone china for everyday use. The company used the trade name Royal Vale following a factory visit and royal licence from King George V in 1913. From the mid 1950s they were part of the Ridgway Group of potteries and later Royal Doulton.

At the time of the photograph, the works were derelict, the range and the two "stack ovens" have been demolished. After closure the works had a number of users including a builders' merchants and a company making core plugs for shot firing in coal mines. The site is now housing.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/225-19 (204/38458)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.