Paper mills and pottery, Commercial Road, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:The eastern end of Commercial Street in Hanley. The large building on the right is part of Brittain's Paper Mills and the more modern building at the bottom is part of J & G Meakin's Eagle Pottery.

The road going off to the left is Tintern Street, with access to the back alley just beyond. All of the buildings in the photograph have been demolished and replaced with modern housing development. The Tintern Strteet houses dated from the 1890s.

Brittain's operated the Ivy House paper mill from 1855, although paper had been made here since the start of the 19th century. The photograph shows the "sort and pack warehouse" buildings on Commercial Road which was built in 1924. This was eventually demolished in 2012.

The lorry on the left belongs to Ernest Wood & Sons, builders of Regent Road, Hanley and appears to be an ex-army Bedford lorry dating from the Second World War.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/171-14 (204/38453)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.