Hanley Station

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:May 1963

Description:The booking and parcels office of Hanley railway station stood on what became the car park of the Grand Hotel on Trinity Street. The platforms were in a deep, sharply curved cutting below Trinity Street, now filled in. This was the second Hanley station. The first opened in 1864, replaced by the station in the photograph in 1873 when the Potteries Loop Line reached Burslem.

In 1940 the station was badly damaged in the first air raid on the city. By 1961 there were only five trains a day through Hanley to Stoke and Tunstall, at peak times only. The Beeching Report in 1963 recommended the closure of the Loop Line and Hanley station finally closed to passengers in 1964. No trace of the line or station remains today.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/182-24 (204/38395)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.