Cheapside from the Town Hall, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:June 1963

Description:Taken from outside the Town Hall, this photograph is looking towards Cheapside. On the left the is the old Gaumont Cinema, previously the Regent and later The Odeon. Closed in 1989, the building is part of the Regent Theatre. This side is the row of Solicitor's Offices and Gordon Chambers. In the centre, the square building is Cromwell Court.

The foreground is now occupied by a modern block containing shops, offices and a bingo hall. This was previously the Palace Cinema from 1919-32, a Palais de Danse in the 1920s and before that, the Albion Pottery Works. On the extreme right hand side is the top end of Tontine Street.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/170-04 (204/38390)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.