Old Weighbridge, Bucknall New Road, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1963

Description:The camera is looking along Bucknall New Road with Hillcrest Street off to the left. Bert Bentley thought the building with the columns and pediment was once a weighbridge. In the1960s a Wright's Pie shop, it was certainly once part of the Old Hall pottery works (owned by the Meigh Family). Pottery had been manufactured on this site since the late 18th Century. The works were demolished in 1902 and replaced by a mix of housing and industry, including the Phoenix Chemical works and Alliance Ceramic Transfers.

The corner was remodelled with the building of the Hanley Ring Road and the building demolished. the view down Bucknall New Road has changed with blocks of flats on the right hand side. The buildings (mainly shops) on the left still stand, with newer shops in the foreground.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/167-24 (204/38351)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.