Official opening of the Spitfire display, Bethesda Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:28th of June 1972

Description:The "greenhouse" on Bethesda Street housed a Mk XVI Spitfire RW 388. Designed by Butt Lane born engineer, R J Mitchell, the Spitfire was built in 1945 and served with the RAF.

This photograph was taken on 28th June 1972 when Air Chief Marshall Sir Neil Wheeler presented the Spitfire to the City of Stoke on Trent and opened the display on Bethesda Street. The aircraft remained here until it was moved into the Spitfire Gallery in the nearby main museum building in 1985.

In the background are the houses on Vine Street and Mollart Street, now demolished and the route of the Potteries Way Inner Ring Road.

In 2018 the aircraft was removed from the gallery for further restoration. The 72-year-old aircraft will return to the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery in 2019 to take pride of place in a new £6 million glass-fronted extension.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/164-19 (204/38320)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.