Hanley Tabernacle, Town Road, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1962

Description:The Congregational Independent Tabernacle Church was founded in Hanley in 1784, a Mission Hall was built in 1879 and the church in the photograph built on Town Road (then known as High Street) in 1883. This group of buildings had a chapel, seating 1000, a lecture hall, class rooms, a vestry and a library. The perpendicular style red brick building had a spire over 100 feet high and elaborate traceried windows. The church was closed in 1964.

The church and the neighbouring shops were demolished with the building of the Potteries Shopping Centre multi storey car park and the re-routing of Town Road.

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/183-21 (204/38309)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.