Hanley Deep Pit Colliery

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:The winding gear of No.1 shaft of Deep Pit Colliery in Hanley. This photograph was taken from Town Road with one of the conical spoil tips just visible behind the winding gear.

Hanley Deep pit was originally owned by the Shelton Iron, Steel & Coal Co. Ltd. and used to supply coal to the coking ovens at the nearby steel works. Opened in 1854, Deep Pit shaft initially went down over 1500 feet (450 metres) and was later deepened to over half a mile (over 800 metres). In the 1930s, nearly 2000 were employed above and below ground. The pit was closed in 1962, although joined underground to Wolstanton Colliery. The site was cleared and landscaped in the 1980s as part of the Central Forest Park reclamation.

A 1960s Ford Anglia saloon car is parked in the foreground.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/184-09 (204/38306)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.