The Chatterley Whitfield mineral line bridge in Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:June 1964

Description:The camera is looking north along Chell Heath Road towards Oxford Road in Fegg Hayes. The bridge is carrying the mineral railway from Chatterley Whitfield Colliery (off to the right) into Tunstall and Pinnox Sidings. In the centre of the photograph beyond the bridge is the south end of Fegg Hayes Road Methodist Church. The houses on the left are in Johnson Place and Oxford Road (formerly Moorland View). Fegg Hayes Road runs across, joining the church with the shops just visible between the line of houses. In the background is the colliery spoil tip.

Opened in 1875, the line ran nearly 3 miles into Pinnox sidings and was used exclusively for coal traffic. The mineral line was closed in 1964 and the route is now a footpath through Monks-Neil Park.
In the photograph, the recently closed line has a rake of colliery coal wagons, including three tipping wagons.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/060-10 (204/38299)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.