Elijah Cotton's Nelson Pottery, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:Elijah Cotton's Nelson pottery stood at the junction of Commercial Road (left) and Botteslow Street (right) in Hanley. Botteslow Street leads down to the bridge over the Caldon Canal, just visible on the right hand edge of the photograph. The Nelson Pottery dates from 1885 although there had been a pottery factory here since at least 1756. The company had a second manufactory, the Victoria Works in Broad Street in Hanley.

Elijah Cotton was best known for producing jugs and at one time claimed to be the world's largest jug manufacturer. However they produced a wide range of earthenware including tea and nursery ware and "fancies" at Nelson Pottery. The factory closed in 1981, the factory lay derelict for many years until demolition in 2017.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/166-20 (204/38294)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.