Trentham gardens and lake

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1964

Description:Looking south from outside the church in Trentham Gardens towards the Terrace and Italian Gardens and lake. The rose or Terrace Garden leads to the Italian Garden by a short flight of stone steps. Called the Parterre Garden in 1857, the terrace was divided into four large flower beds with a central bed and fountain. In the photograph, these are grassed over. The Italian Garden beyond stretches nearly 200 yards to the edge of the lake. Lancelot "Capability" Brown worked on the landscape between 1759 and 1780, expanding the lake and creating the large island at the northern end.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/163-08 (204/38259)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.