St. Mary's and All Saints' Church, Trentham

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1964

Description:The photograph shows the south side of St. Mary's and All Saints' church. There has been a religious building (nunnery, Priory and church) on this site since CE 680. By the 1840s the church was dilapidated and rebuilt in 1842-43 by Charles Barry for the 2nd Duke of Sutherland. The church has a mix of rebuilt Norman pillars and 19th century Gothic style arches. Slightly damaged during the demolition of the Hall in 1912, the church was renovated after the Second World War and control passed from the Sutherland family to the Diocese of Lichfield.

The photographer, Bert Bentley, noted that when he took the photograph there was a thunderstorm approaching.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/162-05 (204/38254)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.