The Lake, Trentham Gardens

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:August 1964

Description:The house and grounds of Trentham Hall were modified by Henry Holland and Capability Brown in the ten years from 1768-1778. Brown dammed the River Trent and extended Trentham Lake to over a mile long and four feet deep covering over 80 acres He also created a large island at the north of the lake which was later removed although there are islands in the lake today. The River Trent had been diverted into the lake but sewage and effluent from nearby potteries heavily polluted it by the early 20th century. By 1907 the Hall had been abandoned by the Dukes of Sutherland and in 1912 demolition started.

Related themes:

Parks & Gardens Lakes & Ponds
View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/161-11 (204/38249)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.