Marquis of Granby public house, Penkhull

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1964

Description:The Marquis of Granby stands at the junction of roads to the north of Penkhull Green. It is believed that an inn has stood on this site since around the 1770s, with the present building dating from the 1890s. The large number of Marquis of Granby public houses is often attributed to John Manners, the Marquis of Granby, a British Army commander in the Seven Years War (in the 1750-60s), who gave his ex soldiers funds to help them set up businesses. Many apparently set up public houses. The inn was certainly standing in 1802 when it was the site of the auction where Josiah Spode II bought large tracts of land in Penkhull. The Marston's Brewery delivery lorry (a Bedford) has wooden barrels and crates for bottled beer. The neighbouring shop on Penkhull New Road has been demolished.

Related themes:

Public Houses
View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/145-23 (204/37988)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.