Etruria Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:June 1963

Description:The front elevation of Etruria Hall. The central part of the building was built between 1768 and 1771 for Josiah Wedgwood and his family. From his office Wedgwood could look over towards the Trent & Mersey Canal and his Etruria Works.

Two wings were added in the 1780s to provide more bedrooms, laboratory space, and a schoolroom. The hall went out of the family in the1840s and subsequently became a girls' school and offices for Shelton Bar Steelworks. It became an important focus for the 1986 Garden festival and Etruria Hall, is now part of the Great Western hotel, the Moat House.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/137-04 (204/35948)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.