Washington Pottery, College Road, Shelton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:Looking north along College Road (formerly Victoria Road) with the Washington Pottery in the centre. Off to the left is Shelton Farm, complete with sheep. On the extreme right hand edge is the Drill Hall, home to the 1st (Volunteer) Battalion of the North Staffordshire Regiment. This still stands, but the pottery was demolished in 2009. the photograph was taken from the gates at the north end of Hanley Park.

Washington Pottery dates from the 1880s, with later extensions, and operated by Ward & Co, Swynnerton's and then English Ironstone Tableware &, lastly, Just Mugs Ltd. In 1998 he pottery was producing over 250,000 pieces of earthenware per week, mainly for export. The company relocated in 2001 and the pottery closed, being demolished in 2009. The grazing land on the left has been developed for housing.

The car heading towards the camera is a Standard Vanguard Phase II saloon in production between 1953 to 1956.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/129-20 (204/35806)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.