The Caldon Canal, Hanley Park, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1963

Description:A quiet stretch of the Caldon Canal as it meanders through Hanley Park. The photograph was taken looking east from the College Road bridge. The Caldon Canal was opened in 1779 to connect the Trent & Mersey Canal (at Etruria) with Froghall, a distance of 18 miles. Initially built to carry limestone, coal and ironstone, the Caldon also acted as a water supply for the Trent & Mersey until the reservoir at Rudyard was built. By the 1960s the canal was virtually derelict and unusable. Restoration work started in 1972.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/129-04 (204/35801)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.