Westport Lake, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:April 1964

Description:The camera is looking northwest over Westport Lake towards Bradwell Woods. The main railway line runs along the shoreline in front of the industrial buildings on Chemical Lane. There is more housing today beyond in the Bradwell Woods area.

The lake was developed as a pleasure resource in the 1890s before degenerating into a wasteland. It became the site of one of Stoke's earliest landscape regeneration projects. Westport Lake as it is today was opened in 1972 as a recreation and conservation area and is the largest body of open water in the city. The Scotia Brook flows from Turnhurst through Tunstall until it meets the Fowlea Brook at Wesport Lake. Port Vale FC had a ground at Westport Meadows in 1881 before it subsided and then flooded. They then moved to Hanley and later Burslem.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/115-14 (204/35547)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.