Burslem Town Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:December 1963

Description:The western end of Burslem's second Town Hall in Market Place. Opened in 1854, this building replaced the first Town Hall and was built on the same site. Behind to the left are PMT buses parked in Market Place and to the right, the corner of Wedgwood's Big House. At the time of the photograph the Town Hall was in use as a Public Library. On top of the Town Hall is the Angel of Victory sculpture, installed just three after the building was opened. The sculpture, of the Greek Goddess Nike with a laurel wreath, was restored in 2002.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1850s
Burslem Town Hall
Burslem Town Hall

This engraving of the "New Town Hall" dates from around 1856.

1920s
An Aerial view of Burslem town centre
An Aerial view of Burslem town centre

The aerial photograph was taken in 1927 and shows Market Place running up the middle ...

1960s
Brickhouse Street, Burslem
Brickhouse Street, Burslem

The photograph shows the narrow alleyway at the Market Place end of Brickhouse Street, ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/104-07 (204/35442)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.