Sadler's Wellington Pottery, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:December 1963

Description:Nos 16 & 18, Market Place, Burslem, Sadler's Offices and Showroom opposite Burslem Town Hall.

James Sadler, famous for the manufacture of earthenware teapots, operated the Wellington and Central Pottery on Market Place. The company started in 1822 and moved to market Place in 1920. The company specialised in "Brown Betty" teapots, originally terracotta with a transparent glaze, later they were white earthenware with a brown glaze. After 1920 Sadler's produced a number of novelty teapots including a racing car and Winston Churchill riding a tank. In 2000 Churchill China took over the right to use the Sadler's name and design.

The building in the photograph has been demolished and the site redeveloped for flats and houses.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1850s
Burslem Town Hall
Burslem Town Hall

This engraving of the "New Town Hall" dates from around 1856.

1920s
An Aerial view of Burslem town centre
An Aerial view of Burslem town centre

The aerial photograph was taken in 1927 and shows Market Place running up the middle ...

1960s
Market Place, Burslem
Market Place, Burslem

Burslem Market Place on a dull day, viewed from Wedgwood Street. Burslem's old Town ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/103-24 (204/35367)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.