Hall Street, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail.

Date:December 1963

Description:View south along Hall Street from Westport Road towards St Paul's churchyard at the bottom of the hill. The tower on the left belongs to the Roman Catholic Church of St. Joseph, a Grade II listed building. The church was built of brick, between 1925-7, in the Italianate style. On the right hand edge of the photograph is the Hall Street side of the Methodist Hill Top Sunday School building (called Sytch Chapel by Arnold Bennett). Built in 1836, damaged by fire in 1983 and mostly demolished in 1987, only the pillared front remains. This too is Grade II listed building. Most of the buildings on the right hand side beyond the Sunday School have been demolished.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/099-02 (204/35333)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.