Doulton's pottery warehouse, Chapel Street, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:This is the rear of the Doulton's works, in Chapel Street, which fronted onto Nile Street in Burslem . Enfield Street off to the right was Prince's Street until the 1950s. The buildings were part of the site warehouse. The Nile Street works were used to make Doulton's range of stoneware, flambe and bone china and date from the 1880s. Doulton purchased a pre-existing factory in Nile Street and built a reputation as high class manufacturers of jugs, vases, figures and decorative pieces. In 1901 the Burslem factory was granted the Royal Warrant and the company became Royal Doulton. The company moved production to the far east, was later taken over by Wedgwood, and demolition of the Nile Street works stared in 2008.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/096-07 (204/35319)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.