St Paul's Church, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:December 1963

Description:The photograph shows the west face of St Paul's Church from Ellgreave Street. The church stood in Church Square, on the border of Burslem, Dalehall and Longport. Opened in 1830, it was a large stone Gothic building with a 115 feet high bell and clock tower. The church was surrounded by a large 3 acre churchyard.

Known as "A Waterloo Church" the church was built using money from the 1818 Church Building Act. This Act made available £1 million in recognition of the 1815 victory over France and Napoleon Bonaparte to build churches in growing towns.

By 1974 the church was suffering from subsidence and the building was demolished in 1974. It has been replaced by a modern church building.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/097-12 (204/35314)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.