Essoldo Picture House, Cleveland Street, Burslem.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:On the corner of Cleveland Street and Bournes Bank, The Essoldo was the first cinema in Burslem (opened in 1911) and started life as the Burslem Picture Palace. It was rebuilt as The New Palace in 1936, renamed as The Ritz in 1951 and became The Essoldo in 1962. After becoming a bingo hall in 1968, the building was demolished in 1989.

The owner of the Picture Palace, William Rhodes, made a film ‘A Pottery Girl’s Romance’ which was first shown at this cinema. The story is set in a potbank, where the local bully chases the prettiest girl in the works, is rebuffed, and plots his revenge. Luckily, there is a handsome hero who, after a few fights, a death and a chase involving a fire wins the girl!
The film was shot in Burslem and just used local streets and industrial districts as the backdrop and used mainly local actors. The film had its premiere at The Picture Palace in September 1918.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/096-10 (204/35313)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.