Midwinter Pottery, Bournes Bank, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:W R Midwinter Ltd operated an earthenware pottery on Bournes Bank from 1910. The company grew rapidly and bought several other potters (including A J Wilkinson and the Newport Pottery) before merging with J & G Meakin in 1968. The new company became part of the Wedgwood Group in 1970. the business closed in 1987. Midwinter's made tableware and "Fancies". In the 1950s the company had over 100 patterns in production. The two storey buildings in the foreground still stand largely as they are, although disused. There is a date stone for 1880 by the large entrance .

Bournes Bank was originally called Church Street, connecting the centre of the town with St John's Church.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/095-07 (204/35296)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.