Grenville Pottery, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:January 1964

Description:The main entrance to Grenville Pottery on George Street (later Vaughan Street). The tablet over the door reads "George Street Pottery erected 1856". The pottery was later taken over by William Hodcroft.

Suzi Cooper rented rooms in the George Street Pottery in 1929 and started, with six other paintresses, to decorate pots. The enterprise only lasted three weeks as the George Street owners were declared bankrupt and Suzi Cooper relocated to the Chelsea Works in Burslem. The site has been demolished along with the surrounding streets.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/089-09 (204/35229)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.