Red Lion public house, Church Street, Stoke upon Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1960 - 1965 (c.)

Description:The Red Lion stood on Church Street, in the south-eastern corner of St Peter’s churchyard in Stoke opposite the Tramway depot (later Potteries Motor Traction bus depot). It was linked with Showell's brewery and sported a terracotta and tiled facade advertising Showell's Amber Bitter. The Red Lion was much frequented by tram staff and later by the PMT bus staff.

It closed and was carefully demolished in the early 1973 to make way for the A500 (Queensway). The facade was taken down "brick by brick" and re-erected, appropriately, at the Crich Tramway Museum in Derbyshire in 2002.

The Red Lion was built on the site of an earlier inn. It was not uncommon for churches to have inns close by to accommodate those travelling to the church and to provide an income for the support of a curate and the Red Lion belonged to the rector of St Peters until 1925 when it was transferred to Showell's Brewery.