Liverpool Road, Stoke upon Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:June 1963

Description:This is a view north along Liverpool Road from its junction with Church Street in Stoke, also known as Gray's Corner. The building in the left foreground was known as the Queen's Hotel. On the front is a round plaque with a bust of the young Queen Victoria with an inscription "Queen's Inn 1823". This building was demolished in the late 1960s. The other buildings on the left hand side remain largely as they were, a mixture of small shops. The white dome in the centre belonged to a Co-Op department store which was on the corner of Berry Street. It remains, although no longer a department store. The frontages on the right are similarly intact, a mix of shops.

Bert Bentley's photograph is taken from almost the same spot as a 1932 postcard.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/010-21 (204/32876)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.