The Caldon Canal near Carmountside, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:A view along the Caldon Canal beyond the Birches Head Road bridge.

The Caldon Canal was opened in 1779 and connected the limestone quarries at Cauldon Low with Stoke-on-Trent and the Midlands. A branch was built in 1817 to Leek. A later railway line ran parallel to the canal reducing it traffic such that it became disused and largely unnavigable by the 1960s. It has since been largely restored.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/003-10 (204/32848)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.