Deep Pit Colliery, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:October 1963

Description:Number 1 shaft winding gear at Hanley Deep Pit Colliery. The colliery was originally owned by the Shelton Iron, Steel & Coal Company and its coal was taken by rail to the coking ovens at the neighbouring steel works. The original Deep Pit was sunk in 1854, down to over 1500 feet (450 metres). In the early years of the 20th century it was deepened to over 2600 feet (810 metres). At its peak, the colliery employed 1300 men. The pit closed in 1967. In the early 1970s the 80 acre site of the colliery was cleared and landscaped and became Hanley (or Central) Forest Park, a major reclamation scheme in the Midlands, winning national awards.

Related themes:

Mining & Quarrying Mines
View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/184-09 (204/32784)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.