Entrance to Longton Public Market

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1962 - 1964 (c.)

Description:The entrance to Longton Public Market on the Strand. This was one of six entrances to the market, but by far the most ornate. Built with a French renaissance style roof this market opened in 1863 and was refurbished in 1991. Above the main door is a mosaic 'This Market Hall Was Erected AD 1862'. The sandstone for the building came from Lightwood Quarry. There had been a second market in Longton, on Commerce Street, demolished in the 1970s.

The Union Jack flying on the taller building behind the market is on Longton Town Hall, on Times Square.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/239-24 (204/38928)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.