St Gregory's Church, Longton.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:May 1968

Description:The demolition of St Gregory's Roman Catholic Church in Longton in 1968. The photograph shows the remains of the large rose window at the west end of the church which stood on Heathcote Road, opposite Gold Street. This building has been replaced with a church opened in 1970 and consecrated in 1978.

The original church was designed by Edward Pugin, the son of the more famous Augustus, and opened in 1869. Mining subsidence in the Longton area lead to it becoming structurally unsafe and demolition took place in 1968.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/222-22 (204/38870)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.