J Hewitt Sons works, Fenton.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:March 1965

Description:Joseph Hewitt & Co. operated the Fenton Low Brick and Marl work was alongside the Biddulph Valley and Leek branch of the old North Staffordshire Railway. The line opened in 1859 and was finally closed to freight traffic in 1968. Immediately behind is the spoil tip of Berry Hill Collieries.

This photograph looks along the line, taken just north of the short tunnel after Fenton Manor Station. The next station along the line was Bucknall and Northwood. The company started around 1870 and made kiln furniture, saggars, special firebricks and refractories

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/217-05 (204/38755)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.