Old Betty Plant's sweet factory, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:September 1963

Description:Old Betty Plant's was a confectionery business on the corner of Morley Street and Statham Street in Hanley. The "Old Betty" name came from the wife of the founder, Albert Plant. The factory in Statham Street dates from 1914 when the original company was taken over by William Nadin. Old Betty Plant's made a wide range of boiled sweets, toffees, mints and cough drops. In 1970 the company became part of Barnett Confectioners Ltd. This factory closed in 1970.

The camera is looking along Statham Street towards Slippery Lane, visible at the bottom. This part of Statham Street lies beneath the A5008 (Potteries Way) and a supermarket.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/182-21 (204/38729)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.