Stoke-on-Trent Corporation Electricty Works on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:October 1963

Description:The Corporation Electricity Works is on the right hand side with Harrison's Mill opposite. Further down is Goodwin's flint mill. In the centre are the ovens of Howson's sanitary ware woks (the Eastwood works).

Hanley Electricity works began supplying electricity in 1894, soon followed by works in Longton, Burslem and Stoke. Amalgamation of the pottery towns into the City of Stoke on Trent brought all the works under Stoke on Trent Corporation and later the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority until nationalisation in 1947. The works is now housing off Bethesda Road.

Howson's and Goodwin's works have also been demolished. Harison's Mill is now (2018) part of Endeka, supplying glazes and colours.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/168-22 (204/38352)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.