The old library and museum buildings in Pall Mall, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:October 1963

Description:A view down Pall Mall towards the Piccadilly crossroads with the old library, art gallery and museum on the left. Closest to the camera is the original City Library which itself was originally a school and art gallery. A brick fronted building with neo-classical stonework. To the right was the old Mechanics' Institute, opened in 1861. Originally a two storey building, the upper storey became unsafe was demolished in 1956 after the opening of the City Museum and Art Gallery in Bethesda Street. Both buildings have been demolished.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/164-13 (204/38335)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.