Anderton canal wharves, Middleport

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:April 1964

Description:The camera is looking northwards along the Trent & Mersey Canal in Middleport. The buildings on the right belonged to the Anderton Canal Company who were one of the three main carriers serving the Potteries in the 19th Century and one of Europe’s largest canal boat engineers. The Anderton Canal Company bought the site in the early 1890s where they erected a large warehouse and boat repair yard. Just beyond the wharf is the Middleport Pottery of Burgss & Leigh.
The Trent & Mersey Canal is almost 94 miles (150km) long and linked the River Trent at Derwent Mouth with the Mersey at Runcorn. Engineered by James Brindley, keenly supported by Josiah Wedgwood, the canal was opened in 1777 and gave the Potteries access to the ports of Liverpool and Hull. By 1800 large quantities of Cornish stone and china clay were being brought to North Staffordshire. The canal reduced freight rates by nearly 90% for raw materials and finished ware.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/124-01 (204/35714)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.