Wilkinson's Royal Staffordshire Pottery, Middleport

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:January 1966

Description:A J Wilkinson's Royal Staffordshire Pottery alongside the Trent & Mersey Canal in Middleport. The works originated as the Mersey Pottery, operated by Anthony Shaw from around 1860, becoming the property of Wilkinson's in the 1890s. The works produced earthenware for the home market, and later white graniteware for the United States. Wilkinson introduced gold lustre on graniteware. In 1920 A.J. Wilkinson took over the neighbouring pottery which came to be known as the Newport Pottery Co.

Both the works have been demolished and the canal side used for housing. These are the buildings further down the canal. The large grey buildings on the other side of the canal are the rolling mills of Shelton Steel Works.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/123-22 (204/35712)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.