Coburg Street, Fenton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:March 1965

Description:The camera is looking northwards from the corner of Alfred Street along Coburg Street. Alfred Street runs off Victoria Road, but Coburg Street has been redeveloped and Hayfield Crescent now follows its line. Coburg Street was laid out in the 1880s with terraced houses on the right, and opposite, the Salopian Pottery. The single storey building at the bottom is the electricity sub station on Victoria Road.

The Salopian Works were occupied by Morley Fox & Co from 1906 until 1957, making a wide range of earthenware. In the photograph, many of the windows are bricked up. The works have subsequently been demolished and replaced by a mix of houses and bungalows along Hayfield Crescent.

On the left hand edge is the typical corner grocer and general provisions store. At this time only one house on Coburg Street had a television aerial.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/206-08 (204/35707)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.