Fenton Parish Church

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:December 1962

Description:Fenton Parish Church (Christchurch) is in Albert Square. To the left of the photograph is Fenton Town Hall, latterly used as a Magistrate's Court and to the right, the War Memorial.

Christchurch was built in 1890 to replace an earlier Victorian church which became unsafe and was demolished due to mining subsidence linked to the nearby Glebe Colliery. Designed by local architect Charles Lynam, the church could hold a congregation of 1900. The tower was added later in 1899.

Fenton Town Hall was built in 1886, sponsored by William Meath Baker, who gave his name to one of the surrounding streets. It is a two storey, red brick building. Later used as a court, the building has an uncertain future. The light coloured car parked in front of the Town Hall is a Renault Dauphine, a rear engined French import and early economy car.

The War Memorial dates from 1922 and was paid for by public subscription. It stands over 30 feet high. The parking sign in the foreground has the RAC logo at the top. Christchurch is a grade II listed building, but the Town Hall is not protected.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/208-11 (204/35676)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.