Westport Road, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:December 1963

Description:Looking from the top of Westport Road towards St John's Square, Burslem. The building on the left edge is the front of Hill Pottery, rebuilt in 1839 by Samuel Alcock. With its ornate front, it was described as one of the most striking buildings in Burslem. The company manufactured porcelain and fine earthenware.

Further down is Ye Old Crown Inn and just beyond that, Queens Chambers. The building just before the inn was the Salvation Army Hall. Ye Olde Crown Inn dates from the nearly 1800s, although there are stories of an inn here from 1699.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/117-14 (204/35606)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.