Hill Top Pottery. Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1963

Description:The Hill Top Pottery (or Hill Pottery) was on Westport road (formerly Liverpool Road), Burslem, almost opposite the Hill Works of Wade Heath. Hill Top Pottery was at the top of the hill (called The Sytch) which ran down towards Brownhills. This pottery was originally owned by Ralph Wood in the 18th century and later the Riley Brothers, Samuel Alcock and lastly from 1867, by Burgess & Leigh (who later moved to Middleport Pottery).

The building in the photograph dates from 1839 when Samuel Alcock enlarged and rebuilt the works to manufacture porcelain and fine earthenware. The pottery appears in Arnold Bennett's novels as Sytch Pottery. Immediately opposite and just appearing on the left hand edge of the photograph are the steps up to Burslem Methodist Hill Top Sunday School. The building has been demolished and the area used for housing.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/117-02 (204/35595)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.