Hill Works, Westport Road, Burslem.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1963

Description:The Hill Works was built in 1814 on what was then called Liverpool road (now Westport Road), the major road through to Tunstall and the port of Liverpool. This area was known as The Sytch. It was opposite the Hill Pottery. Pottery was produced here before the present works built by the Riley Brothers. The works had a number of operators before Wade Heath took over in 1954. They operated here until 2010 until moving to new works in Etruria.

The front on a corner looks very much like Enoch Wood's Fountain Place Works with its Venetian facade, further up Westport Road. Hill Works is a grade II listed building, although now unoccupied. Just to the left of the photograph is the edge of the Burslem Methodist Sunday School building.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/116-04 (204/35592)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.