Hanley Station

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:May 1963

Description:Hanley Station was just north of Trinity Street, alongside the old Grand Hotel. This the second Hanley Station, built when the loop line was extended to Burslem in 1873. The first was just south of Trinity Street and opened to passengers in 1864 on the line between Etruria and Hanley. This later became the goods station, the site of which is now an office block.

This is the view from Hanley Station looking north towards Burslem on the Potteries Loop Line. The next station in this direction was at Waterloo Road. In the 1930s there were 40 trains a day between Tunstall and Stoke, running through Hanley Station. Just before closure, this had fallen to just ten. On the left hand side is the metal water storage tank and the water crane used to service steam engines. Hanley Station was in a deep cutting and on a very tight curve which restricted the size of engines that could be used on the line. The station was closed to passengers in 1964 and to goods traffic in 1966. The cutting has been filled in and is now the car park for the old Grand Hotel.