Overhouse Works entrance, Wedgwood Street, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1963

Description:Looking through the gates into the yard of the Overhouse Works on the corner of Wedgwood Street and Overhouse Street in Burslem. The original Overhouse Manufactory goes back to 1787 and Thomas Wedgwood. The works was extensively rebuilt in 1869 by Edward Challinor, who had operated the pottery since 1818. This is recorded in the carved inscription over the entrance gateway, which is embellished with coloured bricks and tiles. Later occupiers of the site included Barratt's and, from 1992, Royal Stafford following a merger.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/114-24 (204/35580)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.