Sneyd Colliery, burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1963

Description:The photograph was taken from the entrance to the colliery from Sneyd Terrace which was just off Moorland Road in the area that is now Lingard Street. The camera is looking south east towards the head gear with the spoil tip behind and the aeriel cableway pylons to the right. There was a large brickworks to the west of the Colliery.

Although Sneyd colliery opened in 1887 it was one of the oldest colliery sites in the North Staffordshire Coalfield. At one time there were four shafts but by 1924 there were two shafts drawing coal, one upcast and riding shaft, and an earlier shaft had been taken out of use. In the 1950s the colliery was linked underground with Wolstanton Colliery. Coal Winding ceased at Sneyd in 1962.

Sneyd Colliery was the scene of a major disaster in January 1942 when an explosion killed 57 miners. The colliery site is now Sneyd Industrial Estate and Stoke on Trent College with the spoil tip forming Sneyd Hill Park.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/111-20 (204/35480)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.