The Wedgwood Institute, Queen Street, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:December 1963

Description:This photograph shows the corner of the Wedgwood Institute on Queen Street and Clayhanger Street in Burslem. The institute is built on the site of the Brick House Works operated by Wedgwood from 1763 to 1772 and was opened in April 1869. A grade II* listed building, the Institute was built with money raised by public subscription to make arts, science and literature more freely available in The Potteries. The highly decorated exterior has series of locally designed terracotta panels above the windows illustrating the months of the year, and above them, a series of mosaic signs of the zodiac.

The side of the Wedgwood Institute is in Clayhanger Street named after Arnold Bennett's novel. In Bennett's novels this small passageway was called Buggs Gutter and the Wedgwood Institute was called The School of Art (the Burslem School of Art on the other side of Queen Street wasn't built until later).

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/109-16 (204/35462)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.