Burslem Railway Station

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1963

Description:The entrance to Burslem Station on Moorland Road, alongside Burslem Park. Construction of the station began in 1870 and the Potteries Loop Line reached Burslem in 1873. The tablet over the door reads "NSR Burslem Station". Prior to 1873, the mainline North Staffordshire Railway station at Longport was named Burslem, only becoming Longport after the Loop Line opened.

Being on Moorland Road, there were concerns that the station was too far from the town centre. It remained open until the Loop Line was closed in 1964. This photograph was taken just a few months before closure and the posters by the door give notice of closure. The station buildings have been removed, although the adjacent Stationmaster's house is still lived in. The local route of the railway is now Burslem Greenway.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/104-19 (204/35403)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.