Market Place, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:December 1963

Description:Looking west along Market Place with the old Town Hall on the right. Opposite and just visible behind the PMT bus is the inn sign for The Leopard. This old 18th century inn was the site of first meeting, in 1756, between Josiah Wedgwood and the engineer James Brindley which resulted in the cutting of the Trent and Mersey Canal. The Leopard used to be owned by a local brewer, James Norris, who had a brewery between the Market Hall and the Town Hall, not far from where this photograph was taken. The story goes that there was a tunnel, running under the road, linking the Leopard with the brewer. Both the brewery and the Market hall were demolished in the 1950s.
The PMT bus has doors at the back: a time when buses had conductors to collect fares.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/103-14 (204/35371)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.