Victoria Park, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:March 1964

Description:The main entrance gates to the park are on Victorian Park Road and were made by William Durose, an art metal worker from Tunstall. He produced a pair of elaborate wrought-iron carriage gates with square stone pilars decorated with panels, wreaths and urn finials. The carriage gates are flanked by a pair of similar wrought-iron pedestrian gates with another pair of identical stone pillars. The gates were commissioned by John Nash Peake, a prominent Tunstall tile manufacturer, in 1904. The inscription over the gates reads "Floreat....In memory of Thomas Peake by His Children AD1904... Tunestal".

In the background is the Adams clock tower, again donated by a prominent local pottery family. The park is classified as a grade II listed building and was officially opened in 1908.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/089-17 (204/35231)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.